Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gaugh D: Goodbye.

For once, I really thought it was the end for me. Literally. Curtains down, bounded for the great adventure, finally off of this pathetic planet.

I began to savor the lazy moments in bed since Monday, because there is simply no other feeling like it in the world. I missed my math classes four times in succession, including today, in preparation for our eventual permanent separation. I scoffed at my books, armed with the blessed mercury as a herald of the final rest that I so wanted.

I gleefully smile at the thought of parting from the things I hated and escaping through the gentle drip of an IV pack of sedatives or through the pleasant shadow of a coma. It was flu. Simply a flu, and yet my mind has taken off to morbid and impossible paths that I embraced so long as I will not have to face the sciences. Three 5’s in my transcript are too much to erase with time.

But, almost symbolically, I broke the thermometer the other night. I accidentally hit it across the table, surprised and unable to trace the droplets of shattered mercury. Then it occurred to me:

Mercury is poison.

There were few droplets on the surface of the table, which I gathered with a piece of tissue paper. I rolled it around, amazed at its properties, both physical and lethal. But, in my dismay, it, too, fell and shattered.

I realized that I was mad, mad in its truest sense. My apathy for things seemed to have grown out of hand, and I have no idea how it came about.

This morning, after a bout of tears (I missed a final exam in the morning, and there is another one later this afternoon which I resolve not to miss), I decided that even if I did get three 5’s this semester (Calculus, Physics, and Lab) I will obtain three 1’s on the next. I unlocked the door and trudged downstairs to where my mom had just scolded me for my neglect and evident irresponsibility before I ran up and locked myself in the room. I felt like crying again when I noticed that she softened a bit and, well, maybe thought that I was trying and that I simply could not do it.

She looked up from her work. “Well?”

“Just give me the fare money. I’ll go to school myself.”

“I thought your next exam was at 1?” I was really thankful she hadn’t got her glasses on, because I was tearing up already.

“W-what am I going to do at home?”

“Well, what are you going to do at school?”

“…study?” I haven’t really thought about it. I just thought that maybe going to school, bane of my existence, would show that I was not afraid of it and can face it by myself.

“I’ll just bring you there at one. Turns out we won’t be making the delivery then. Just take this chance to keep drinking vitamin C.”

“O-okay.” As I was about to go upstairs to cry properly, she told me (in Chinese):

“You know, you can’t keep forcing yourself through Math and Physics. Just shift to PSID, I think that will be better rather than to keep failing. Besides, no one’s forcing you to finish Architecture. You can even just stay at home and help me out. That would be better, even. It’s hard to do things by myself.”

Inside me, then, was a rush of emotions—relief, gratitude, shame, sadness, excitement, anything and everything but apathy. Again I cried, but this time it isn’t out of hopelessness.

In a way, it still was the end. End of madness, end of misery…well, I can’t say what’s in store for me in the next chapter, but, with all tenacity, I will avoid regret.

44 comments:

  1. agh, sorry i signed out na kanina coz magkklase nako ><

    Aw noo:( Let's talk soon, okay? After all this school hell is done:(

    You're probably taking that exam now. Hope you do well!:D Gogogo eandra!

    PS. What is PSID? Phil school of interior design? (superrandomguess)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much going on, huh?
    you need a break. we all need a break, for goodness' sake! hahaha
    let's get together sometimes:)
    i miss miss miss you!
    take care of yourself, aryt? you'll get through this c:
    *hugs* :D:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep mich, you got that right. PSID.

    Hm, the exam wasn't much of anything, but turns out the one i missed in the morning, the final one, does not have a make-up. Well, so I 5-ed that one unit thing. Ah, hell.

    I'm taking it easy na, not going for a degree anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. marilou!! :3

    yeah, i will. in my own way haha. my mom wants me to help her with the company already :O so, well, i'm graduating ahead. hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. We all have those moments, Eandra :(( Choose what makes you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :(

    why haven't I noticed this? T.T

    *hugs*

    if you need to talk about it further...I'm always a phone call away..

    but whatever lies ahead, I'll be happy for you sweety :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww eandra :( *hug*
    i can relate, pero i've made peace with my failing grades in math and the sciences long ago kaya i'm not affected as much. in the end, it won't be the meterstick that would size you up. like what aivi said, choose what makes you happy :) kasi if it makes you happy, then it's the right thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. :/ but at least things are clearing up for you kahit papano. you're too cool for school anyway. hehe. X)

    ReplyDelete
  9. *huggy*

    acads suck. kaya mo yan! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't stress yourself too much! you're only in your 2nd year diba?
    maybe try to think again what you really want to do with your life and what you're good at. you know, you'll end up doing what you really love to do. so if it's not archi, you might be wasting your time and efforts there. you can do it eandra! :)
    you need a break! vacation ka muna! (or... intay mo nalang yung sembreak. 2-3 weeks nalang din so konting tiis nalang)

    ReplyDelete
  11. awwwwwwwwwww endraaaa *huuuuuuug* it's okay, malapit na sembreak!

    i unnecessarily lengthen my words to emphasize

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw eandra.

    far from the topic... i like how you write. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. eandraaaaaaaaaaa. ^______^
    im sure you'll do great! =]

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww... try one more term, if kinaya then, great, if not, ok naman sa mom mo so, decide then if youll shift from a math heavy course to a less math intensive course or help your mom. all sounds goods basta wag na wag mo lang kakalimutan na kahit anung mangyari, nandyan mga friends mo if ever youll need help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks aivi :) i sure will hahaha.

    <3 your avatar by the way XD

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks, merri. your text was really touching hahaha :3

    ReplyDelete
  17. jovi, buti ka pa haha. jovi = cool :3

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha! thanks reg. gusto ko nga siya gawing story-type e hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks everyone :D anyway, it's all set na, i think.
    i'll be attending PSID (if i get in, kasi first come first served! D:) in June next year, so I'll be staying one last sem sa UP, taking subjects that I like :3 possibly some of my majors, says my mum, para may...edge daw ako pagdating sa ID haha.

    :D :D :D huzzah

    ReplyDelete
  20. tasha :3 yeah, i thought i needed a break, too. pero you know what, after reaching a decision, parang iniisip ko it all will be a breeze hahaha. gaugh. thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks eds, i'm taking a goodbye term haha. pero for some reason, at this point parang the future seems bright :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jesus--my lord and my god! While I was practicing, you were here, mop(p)ing!

    Eandra. Nothing lasts, nothing matters. It's always and only the fun of it all that would suffice. Whatever you do, whatever happens, just enjoy the ride. Malalaman mo naman kung anong baka pagsisihan mo. Good things will always come about from anything.

    Cool, you're free. You can sit in anywhere next sem! Sayang, I was looking forward to us graduating together, dun dun dun! Ah well, let's make your final sem a blast! And if you decide it wouldn't be your final sem, we'll treat every sem like a farewell party! Which is how life should be lived.

    And bah to credentials! Bah to school being a necessary ordeal. Anything can be learned anywhere in endless ways. (Funny enough, this is what we realize in UP, in a school!)

    Keep moving forward, Moppy! You will be all right, and we'll make sure that in any direction, we'll attain our utmost capability and actually fulfill things we can only dream of for now. Things are to be a bundle of joy. (Not pregnancy!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't you dare leave without a word. Else the memory of the people you know would haunt you, or would it be the other way around?

    *plays "Catch You Catch Me" song*

    ReplyDelete
  24. lol.ganun talaga pag parati kang bagsakin XD kelangan natin pumarty bago ka umalis, and when you do, bisita ka pa rin ah :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. agrees with jovi. =P

    aww... you shall be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Vanny, such beautiful words :3

    I'm sure when I'm broke, jobless, and pre-maritally pregnant, endless tears will flow from my eyes when I get the chance to read this again.

    Yay :3 sit-in galore! But, there's this slim chance, too, that I'll not have a last sem and head off to PSID after the sembreak, if things get sorted out quick etcetc. But, who knows, ne?

    If worse comes to worse, I can always start teaching chinese.
    HAHAHA *alludes to you*

    ReplyDelete
  27. hahaha! i WILL visit! especially kung thesis niyo na! tundundun! :3

    ReplyDelete
  28. Alluding to me? That makes no sense! I may have joined the song translation contest but that doesn't mean I can't join another one! I may also have won but I may never know cause I traded the awarding for preparation for our recital!

    Well, I have a back-up plan too, if only I can submit anything on time, the vice which flunks the plan itself.

    Yes, everything will be all right. :D *darts eyes about suspiciously*

    Enjoy mo ang stay mo habang Centennial pa ng UP! May Lantern Parade pa! :D:D We've a float to show off! And you might see me dance with KG! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Augh, i was referring to your online lessons. Come on, how slow can you get, huh?
    KG?

    Kogepan?! Whut?? (I'm not slow! Ikaw ung malabo hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  30. (Lolololol)

    Stop making no sense! Papaya!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stop seeing ME in YOUR shortcomings. Just because I tend to be illogical doesn't mean you--oh.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i don't...stop making no sense! D:

    ReplyDelete