Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Repression is a Vice

Somebody murdered my inner child.
It happened sometime in the night, with a stabbing knife that was meant for me.

The child was on the throes of death while I lay peacefully sleeping, and I woke up to find that things were not as they were before. Sunlight had filtered through the blinds, stale and indifferent.

(Is this how I’ll be seeing the world from now on?)

I did not know at the time that I’ve already lost her, and maybe you can imagine a little how I felt when I did find out.

I saw her, then. She was about sixteen, with dark locks and slender fingers. I could not tell whether her gray eyes were inherent, if it was because of death, or if she had them because she was stark and empty inside. There was no blood. Only sadness, and mute bewilderment.

I gently guided her lids shut. Her lips formed a small frown; her skin, a ghostly white. And I realize, aghast, that I was the cause of her sallow condition.

She was young, free-willed…beautiful. But I chose to believe that my fears do exist, and that I was no better than anybody. She was neglected, unappreciated—by me—and yet she chose to save me, to end her life for my sake.

It was a death she did not deserve. What she deserved is happiness, freedom, life…and yet, she received none of it.

I walked around the city, empty. I imagine her cringing every time I walked looking down at the pavement, when I should’ve held my head high. Sick of me thinking that everybody is quietly judging my every move. Deprived of love. Weary of hoping. I lost touch with her, and all she could do is hug herself in a corner inside my body, living off the little warmth I have.

Perhaps she wanted to die. Maybe I deserve to know what it’s like to lose my inner child. I suppose she did not want to exist anymore, and died in my place for her own sake.

I went back and I watched her until she was no more than a faint flicker; and when she was gone, a cold wind dried away the trails of my tears.

I walk out of the apartment building. I stroll down the streets and notice something different. An old man was sitting on a bench, feeding pigeons. Beside him a little boy smiles adoringly at the plump birds. A woman sits on a bench, contemplating the pavement. In front of her a teenager, staring her right in the face—upset. There are children everywhere—smiling, tugging, clinging, frowning…crying.
 

They are happy. Miserable. Indifferent.
It was easy to tell.

15 comments:

  1. im lost. but i like it. esp flow of events and choice of words. meep
    email something for currents to me by feb? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish I still had the motivation to write on whims. :/ Excellent, by the way. :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...

    maybe you can give CPR to your inner child? maybe that's what they did.

    GIMME A DEFIBRILLATOR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *reply from title* Not really. :P What'd the child ever do that her death would be so significant?
    I suppose this piece is more of a comparison of images. I like the way you always start with a stunning news flash and bam! Pictures to support your report, though I think showing the victim's physical features doesn't work here. So what if she's sixteen, with dark hair that doesn't seem to mean a thing with what she does (which may sound racial; why can't she be blond? XD), or slender fingers that would mean she's thin and possibly fragile. So what? Unless you've proven 16 to be a mystical number or black an otherworldly color or her whole self to fit through jail bars and escape, they seem like unnecessary trivia for the character to sound human.
    "She was neglected, unappreciated—by me—and yet she chose to save me, to end her life for my sake." Still, I don't know what she did that the narrator would miss her for a second. I wanted to feel for them, but all you gave was a summary. Adjectives here and there showing the results like a doctor would stoically report someone's condition.
    Other than that, there's still the air of mystery that keeps the reading interesting. It either stems from the lack of supporting details or insufficiency of our own mortal understanding. =O

    Sorry if I sound strict or serious. I just want your works to be really, really polished, which would totally pwn. 8D Please write more; Merri and I worship you! X3

    ReplyDelete
  5. sure merry:D haha. expect it at the last minute >u<

    ReplyDelete
  6. thaanks, hannah :).. though i have to admit, i like my previous works better than this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gerald..what's a defibrillator?
    haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. vanessa. i love you, do you know that? haha.
    hm. i was thinking that inner children are generally important for everybody.
    it's a bit personal though, so being sixteen, with dark hair, slender fingers are my own personal aspirations :D
    yes, i suppose not everybody would appreciate it as much as the other stories i've written (i had that feeling for a few days before i decided to post) and i was looking for what was missing.

    Found it. haha. Thaaanks:3
    I will try to edit.:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. well done piece. [from an always depressed person]...

    it's a sad little thing to know that along the lines of growing up, we lost touch with the inner child/innocence within us. It becomes only as a reminder on some occasions sort of trying its best to cling ourselves. Though it seems visibly lost, it is right there in us, hidden.

    I like how you transcend from going on to yourself, your experience to others. It gives a real perspective to the thought :)

    replying to vanessa's comment about the vagueness of your work. I don't know, I treat the murdering and murderer as a symbolic gesture, that you have to lose your childlikeness for the real world in order for it to accept you. You have to think independently and like an adult to survive and thrive in the working environment where there are strangers and whatnots. I'm not sure...but that's my interpretation...

    ReplyDelete
  10. iba't ibang tenses ginagamit mo eandra haha, yung verbs sa last paragraph.

    depressing stories ka na rin!! haha, sorry wala akong ma-comment sa story masyado, more on feelings kasi e, parang, hindi ko masabi in words, i just got these feelings after i read it haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha merri i like your comment:D you hit the spot with this one. especially ung last paragraph mo, that was my line of thinking ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  12. ongano, hahaha! >_> pero i actually had to read the paragraph twice bago ko nakita haha! weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe sorts like her run away to chase after something, and we have to follow or else we will always feel incomplete.

    ReplyDelete